Application Deadline: 01/03/ 2016.
About Fundi Bots
Fundi Bots’ vision is to change the way science education is taught inside and outside Ugandan schools. To achieve this vision, we teach students how to build robots. Through the process of building robots, the students get practical skills in computer science, electrical and electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, computer programming and soft skills like project management, teamwork and innovation.
As a result of this process, the students understand their science curriculum better, are prepared better for future technology oriented careers and they are empowered to be innovative community change-makers.
The Educator / Teacher Position
Fundi Bots is seeking two teachers to oversee and manage the training and curriculum development aspects of our Primary and Secondary School program. The teachers’ primary role will be to prepare, deliver and evaluate the lessons within our training center (Fundi Space) and within the schools that we work with.
Our core training areas (from primary to senior school levels) are: electronics, computer programming and mechanical systems.
Fundi Bots works with two age groups; Primary Schools (6-12 years old) and Secondary Schools (12-18 years old) and we require one primary school teacher and one secondary school teacher.
Fundi Bots also works with dozens of schools within Kampala and upcountry (currently Eastern and Northern region). The teachers must be willing to occasionally travel upcountry to train for weeks at a time.
This is a full time position. Our work-days are Monday to Saturday. Saturdays are full working days at Fundi Bots with multiple trainings happening at schools and at the Fundi Space.
As an applicant, you must have the following qualifications:
- Passionate about teaching. We do not compromise on this; you must love teaching, learning and be willing to pursue this as a long-term career.
- A Diploma in Education or Bachelor of Science in Education or an equivalent from a recognized university. A degree from another science field like computer programming will be considered if you are committed to pursuing education as a career. We strongly encourage fresh graduates to apply. No previous job experience is required.
- The teaching areas must be in science subjects; Physics and maths teachers will be given higher preference.
- Very good computer skills with either a strong knowledge or interest in computer programming.
- The teaching style needs to be modern, fun and interactive. The Fundi Bots curriculum is 90% practical, so we need teachers who are dynamic, hands-on and are constantly searching for better ways to improve the teaching experience.
- Experience with international schools will be an added advantage.
Your duties will be as follows:
- Preparing and delivering lessons to a range of students of different ages, social backgrounds and abilities.
- Evaluating student work, giving feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress.
- Maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum material in collaboration with the rest of the Fundi Bots team.
- Managing pupil behaviour in the school classrooms, at the Fundi Space and any other premises at which we may be carrying out trainings.
- Supporting individual pupils through special or supplementary trainings.
- Communicating with parents and guardians over students’ progress.
- Participating in and organising extracurricular activities, such as outings, social activities and other events.
Additionally, we expect the following from successful applicants:
- You must be self-driven, able to independently work through tight deadlines with minimal supervision, and you must have a strong attention to detail.
- You must have very good English communication skills, written and spoken, with specific attention to professional communication and classroom etiquette.
- You must be very organized with strong reporting, time-management and performance tracking standards.
- You will be in charge of educational documentation and reports, so you must be comfortable attending meetings at schools and various organizations, taking minutes, filing reports and organizing operational paperwork.
If you are still interested in this position, please send your application (CV/Resume and Cover Letter) to email@example.com with the title: Job Application: Fundi Bots Educator (Please indicate Primary or Secondary).
We will get back to you as soon as we are able to. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We look forward to working with you.